At Avanta Investment Management Limited, we assist Australians with their financial planning needs in the same way that a qualified planner would do back home, with a couple of caveats.
As many of our team are ex-pats ourselves, we appreciate that not everything works the same way when you are abroad for an extended time. There will be differences in the way income and assets are treated depending if you are home or away. What was perfectly suitable and appropriate for you when living in Australia may no longer be the most effective way to proceed as an ex-pat.
We have experience in ex-pat life, the challenges it brings, and the changes to your financial planning that should be made to avoid problems when and if you ultimately return to live in Australia.
We would be happy to open the discussion with you about how Avanta Investment Management Limited can help you make the most of your time in Hong Kong while being prepared for a possible return to Australia.
We have licensed Avanta Investment Management Limited advisors that hold local and Australian ASIC qualifications, so we have you covered on both continents.
Like Australians, British ex-pats are well-known for living and working in all corners of the world, including many who now reside in Hong Kong.
There are many advantages to being an ex-pat, from the benefits of lower income tax environments to higher salaries and the enjoyment that living in a different climate and culture can offer are some that spring to mind.
For some, the dream continues indefinitely, but for others, a time comes when they are ready to pack their bags and return to their green and pleasant land. If your stay in Hong Kong has been short, there may be little or no financial planning adjustments needed before your return journey. For others, including those overseas for more extended periods, a thorough review of your finances will be required to prevent unwanted and unnecessary issues when you get home.
Like most things in life, the sooner you start something, the easier and faster it is to complete. If you are currently an Australian or British ex-pat living in Hong Kong, and you haven’t revisited your financial plans since leaving home, contact us, and we will be pleased to guide you through any adjustments that need to be made.
Some things to consider include:
- Is your insurance coverage still valid while overseas?
- Are you taking full advantage of tax efficiencies while away?
- Do your pension arrangements reflect your current situation?
- Have you got proper inheritance planning and a valid will in place to protect your family if something should happen overseas?
- Do your investments at home need attention?
- Will returning home result in a tax bill that could be avoided by planning ahead?
- What are the tax implications for your overseas investments when you get home?
- Do you have somewhere lined up to live?
- Are there tax or other implications for my overseas pensions or income?
These are just some of the questions we come across almost daily, and we can help you find answers to these and any other questions you may have.